In the comfort of a small group and a 4×4 vehicle we aim for quiet remote places where we can experience the northern lights outside electric light pollution.
On this tour we will go where needed for the best possible conditions to spot the northern lights within the given timeframe of approximately 4 hours.
Price per person:
24.900 IKR. – Max 4 persons
Departures: Pick up at 20.30
The tour is operated from 1st. September – 1. March
The twist! add 5.000 IKR per person (min 4)
Evening adventure in Tipi style with open fire, hot chocolate/tea with added magic that improves the chance of seeing the northern lights apparently 😉
- 20.30-21.00 pm – Pick up at your hotel in the Reykjavik area
- Tour duration 3:30 – 4:30 hours
- Professional english speaking local guide
- Comfortable 4×4 with options of getting where the big bushes will not!
- Authentic refreshments during the tour
- Thermal layers and an extra sweater or jacket to be able to enjoy the northern lights outside the car
- Hat and gloves
- and maybe a camera with long exposure (>15 sec and high iso) and tripod essential to get a good picture
How about making it a day tour by adding other popular activities …:
- Into the Glacier Tour and northern lights – 8-10 hour tour pick up at 13.00
- Glacier hike and northern lights – 10-12 hour tour – Pick up 11.30 am
- Inside the volcano and northern lights – exclusive entrance and private guiding (no one else in the volcano!).
Only operated from mid May to mid October each year.
A hunting game without the blood spill
Experiencing the northern lights is subject to few factors that need to go hand in hand for a successful northern lights hunting. First of all a view of the sky with no or scattered clouds is a must. That’s where local know how of secret places and years of weather observations come in hand. Most important though is a fair forecast of northern lights activity for Iceland that is issued for the next 48 hours. Both of these can be forecasted but being at the right place on the right time takes some know how and a mobile – meaning a small – group.
Slideshow from the Northern lights mystery tour